0-5 Early Childhood Mental Health Initiative
The Child Center of NY is pleased to serve as the Queens borough-wide provider of the Early Childhood Mental Health Network, a ThriveNYC initiative designed to provide mental health services and supports for families who have young children, ages 0–5, with mental health needs. Our bilingual and bicultural therapists utilize evidence-based, trauma-focused models of treatment that have been proven to make a difference for this age group and give them the promising start we want for all our children.
Just as we need to ensure that children begin school academically ready to learn, we also need to ensure they begin life socially and emotionally ready to thrive. The Child Center can help with that piece of the puzzle.
Many people wonder what mental health services for such young children entails. Here are some things that we can provide children and families who enter treatment with us:
- parent groups and caregiver depression screenings
- individual child screening
- guidance in increasing positive interactions and communication between parent and child
- assistance in developing social-emotional skills, building resiliency, improving self-esteem, and encouraging self-regulation
- the tools to help families handle the inevitable setbacks and challenges of life in a safe and constructive way, now and in the future
In order to reach the children who need our help the most, we work directly with Early Head Start, Head Start, EarlyLearn, and preschool programs. Here are some services we can provide to early childhood educators in Queens:
- staff and teacher training
- consultations and coaching on incorporating social-emotional learning in the classroom
- assistance in identifying and assessing children’s and families’ social and emotional needs
- strategies for working with young children and their families
- a place where you can feel confident referring families who may be in need of mental health support
Referral hotline: 718–530–6892
Hank Auffarth Family Center
81-14 Queens Boulevard
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Flushing Clinic at the Macari Family Center
140-15B Sanford Avenue
Flushing, NY 11355
South Jamaica Clinic at the Lorraine Petracca Family Center
115-15 Sutphin Boulevard
Jamaica, NY 11434
67-14 41st Avenue
Woodside, NY 11377
- Services Provided: individual and family counseling; Trauma Focused Child Patent Psychotherapy (TFCPP) for clients with trauma parent groups; assessments and screenings; staff and teacher training.
- Admission criteria: Children ages 0-5 and their families. Preference given to those enrolled in EarlyLearn and Pre-K for All programs. All clinics accept Medicaid and other insurance and work with families to ensure access.
- Languages: English, Bengali, French, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish