Positive Character and Health Development
The Child Center of NY empowers students to be responsible and active citizens. We do this by providing and promoting opportunities to contribute to the local community at all our programs, as well as through specialized programs on topics such as sexual health and service learning. These programs help equip young people with the knowledge, emotional support, and critical thinking skills that help them grow into adults who are committed to giving back to their communities and able to rely on their own good judgment.
Comprehensive Pregnancy Prevention Program
45-10 94th Street
Elmhurst, New York 11373
Phone: 718-271-1487 ext. 5462
Additional sites in Far Rockaway and Jamaica
- Senior Program Director: Rachelle Valbrun, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours: Monday—Friday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Services provided: CAPP provides comprehensive, age-appropriate, evidence-based, and medically accurate sexuality education to promote healthy sexual behaviors including abstinence, delaying the onset of sexual activity, and reducing the practice of risky sexual behaviors among youth. The workshops are for youth ages 10-21 in specific targeted communities (zip codes 11373, 11368, 11434, 11433, 11692 and 11691).
- Special services: Peer leadership, community service learning
- Ages accepted: 10-21
- Languages spoken: English
- Public transportation: Subway—7 train to Junction Boulevard
Far Rockaway RBI
115-15 Sutphin Boulevard
Jamaica, NY 11434
Senior Program Director: Rachelle Valbrun email@example.com
A baseball league for youth ages 6-14, formed in partnership with other community partners, including Major League Baseball (MLB). Participants engage in practices and games, fun clinics, baseball-related youth development activities, and opportunities to engage with MLB players and other personnel from the New York Mets. Emphasizes the values of teamwork, self-discipline, dedication, and sportsmanship through baseball.
Youth Baseball League in Far Rockaway Kicks Off
Peace March Kicks Off Far Rock LL The Wave
Five local teams invited to All-Star Youth Classic, The San Diego Union-Tribune
Young Men’s Initiative
Beach 41st Cornerstone Community Center
426 Beach 40th Street
Far Rockaway, NY 11691
M.S. 318 Waterside School for Leadership SONYC Program
190 Beach 110th Street
Rockaway Park, NY 11694
Phone: 347-246-9759 (both locations)
YMI’s mission is to provide middle school-age young men with positive role models and a safe, encouraging environment where they can discuss their thoughts and concerns, enhance their life skills, participate in community service, and connect to each other through basketball. Each participant is partnered with a mentor based on compatibility and meets with his mentor both in groups and individually.
- Program Director: Brian Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org
- YMI Coordinator: Omar Brown, email@example.com
- Hours: Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 p.m., alternating between sites
- Services provided: 45-minute workshop followed by 45 minutes of basketball drills and play
- Ages accepted: 10 to 14 (grades 6-8)
- Admission criteria: Must be enrolled in one of the above after-school programs and complete an application
- Languages spoken: English and Spanish
- Public transportation: Beach 41st Cornerstone: Subway—A Train to Beach 36th or Beach 44th Street; Bus—Q22. SONYC Waterside: Subway—A shuttle train; Buses—Q22, Q53.