A Vision for Tele-Visiting
The Child Center of NY has been providing therapy and other behavioral health services by licensed mental health professionals for more than six decades. In 2016, we joined with Tina Reynolds, chair of an advocacy group for currently and formerly incarcerated women called WORTH, and with Hour Children, the Osborne Association, and York College to form A Vision for Tele-Visiting.
This groundbreaking program extends our services to children facing the incredible hardship of parental incarceration. We provide the logistical, emotional, and wraparound support that assists families in maintaining meaningful relationships during a parent’s incarceration and preparing for a successful reentry into family and community life. We know that with the right support, children and parents who have been touched by familial incarceration can rise above the obstacles—both emotional and practical—and build a future full of promise.
115-15 Sutphin Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11434
Phone: 718-659-4000 ext. 2436
Fax: 718- 659-1405
Beach 41st Cornerstone
426 Beach 40th St,
Far Rockaway, NY 11691
718-659-4000 ext. 228
Hour Children Office
36-11 12th St
Long Island City, NY 11106
- Services Provided: Regularly scheduled monthly tele-visits with incarcerated parent; mental health support, including individual and family counseling; and wraparound services, such as job placement assistance and benefits counseling. Each tele-visiting session lasts for 45 minutes and is followed by a 15-minute session dedicated to processing the experience. Through our partnership with Hour Children, participants also have the opportunity for in-person visits with incarcerated parents at Bedford and Taconic correctional facilities.
- Special Services: The program includes a youth leadership component, which focuses on giving children a safe space to express themselves freely and the tools to do so. Participants will be able to bond as a group and empower other youth facing the same obstacles. They will be encouraged to take part in at least one youth leadership activity a month.
- Ages: Youth ages 6-21 and their families.
- Admission Criteria: Children must live in New York State and be able to travel to our South Jamaica, Far Rockaway, or Long Island City site. They must have a parent currently residing at Bedford Hills or Taconic correctional facility in order to participate in the tele-visiting program; youth leadership component is open to youth with a parent residing at any correctional facility.
- Languages: English, Haitian Creole